The Canadian tax system (the Canada Revenue Agency) is extremely complex and our governments possess vast resources, both human and material, to audit the compliance of taxpayers. Technological advancements have permitted the tax departments to develop more sophisticated audit methods, all augmenting the “coverage ratio” of audited businesses and verified taxpayers.
Our Tax lawyers respond to the needs of these businesses and taxpayers and assists at every step of the process, including:
- the protection of the rights of taxpayers during all audits by the tax authorities, dealing with corporate and personal income tax, HST and QST or any other taxes or duties;
- the exercise of all administrative recourses available;
- the representation of taxpayers before both civil and penal tax tribunals;
- the negotiation of settlements with the tax authorities;
- the presentation of voluntary disclosures for delinquent taxpayers who wish to regularize their situation with the tax authorities, for example, by repatriating sums held outside of Canada.